The Star Entertainment Group is passionate about welcoming people from all walks of life – where differences are not isolating, but are instead appreciated and valued.
A firm believer in diversity and inclusion, The Star is committed to ensuring its culture and environment remains welcoming, inclusive and safe for all.
Recognised as the only hospitality organisation that has achieved a Silver Status for the Australian Workplace Equality Index (the definitive national benchmark on LGBTQ workplace inclusion), The Star has created a Diversity and Inclusion program – PROUD AT the Star – that’s championed by The Star’s CEO and executive leadership team and overseen by Melissa Tsang who provides guidance to the business to help teams build a diverse and inclusive workplace.
The Star’s aim is to provide all team members with an environment that is respectful, and one where they feel valued, are able to be their best self and to make a difference within their communities – and to the guests they serve. Ultimately, The Star’s goal is to create a space where both team members and guests feel welcomed and happy the moment they walk through the door until they depart.
From the moment a team member joins The Star they are welcomed by the Diversity and Inclusion committee at an induction where they’ll learn about The Star’s values which include its commitment to Diversity and Inclusion. All of The Star’s leaders and team members are accountable for D&I and integrate this into their day-to-day roles.
Continually striving to be best in practice, The Star understands the importance of visibility for underrepresented groups and creating meaningful initiatives and strong policies which will help with fostering a safe and inclusive environment.
Some of The Star’s achievements to date:
- In 2021 The Star updated its parental leave policy in line with Workplace Gender Equality Agency’s Employer of Choice citation
- Have policies and processes that are inclusive of the LGBTQI+ community including Gender Transitioning leave available to team members
- Developed its own Ally Training that is delivered by team members who are Pride in Diversity accredited trainers
- Recognise that there are more than two genders – The Star has all gender bathroom facilities that are available to our guests and team members
- Celebrate Days of Significance that are important to underrepresented groups including IDAHOBIT, Wear it Purple, Lunar New Year, Diwali, International Women’s Day, NAIDOC and many more
- The Star is an accredited organisation of Travel Proud (by Booking.com)
- The Star’s board set targets to ensure they keep Diversity and Inclusion front of mind
- The Star is a founding partner to Women In Gaming Hospitality Australasia with the aim to help organisations in the industry also achieve gender equality
- Since The Star started its D&I journey, they have been a proud partner at community events such as Mardi Gras and The Pride in Practice Conference, and look to work with many more community groups in the future
- The Star have partnered with LGBTQ Jobs to help attract job seekers to organisations like The Star who share the same vision of creating an inclusive workforce
Passionate about including people from all walks of life – where differences are not isolating, but are instead appreciated and valued – everyone is welcome at The Star.